Learn about the important requirements, skills, and keywords that should be included in a sales representative resume.
Are you passionate about helping people find products or services that solve their problems? If so, a career in sales might be an excellent fit for you. As a sales representative, you are responsible for marketing and selling a company’s products or services to potential customers. Your resume is your own personal marketing tool, and without a well-crafted one, you run the risk of blending in with the rest of the candidates.
In this article, you’ll learn how to create a resume that displays your skills and enhances your chances of landing the sales representative job you want.
Do you need help crafting the perfect resume? We recommend working with a resume writing service. Then, when your resume is looking good, start applying for new roles on ZipRecruiter.
Sales Representative Resume Example
+1 (255) 498 8874
Sales Representative - Addler Inc, Los Angeles, CA
05/2020 - Present
- Exhibited confident communication skills and professionalism over the phone and face-to-face
- Displayed a positive attitude, a "can do," solution-orientated approach to succeed
- Demonstrated Time Management excellence in multiple projects
- Activated Attentive Solution-Based Sales Skills that meet or exceed patient needs
- Utilized computer Skills - CRM, MS Office, POS Systems
Sales Representative - Ullrich Inc, Los Angeles, CA
12/2017 - 04/2020
- Proactively contacting existing and potentially new customers via phone, WebEx, email, and face-to-face meetings
- Point of contact and relationship manager for our customers and foster these relationships with a diverse group of decision-makers
- Served as the go-to-person for customers on technical and support issues, problem-solving, and training requirements
- Managed relationships with company sales partners, including bookstores and distributors
Stanford University - Bachelor's in Education
Join The Break Community
- Excellent communication and team interaction skills, routinely interacting with customers, manufacturers, and VWR staff
- Success in forming multiple customer relationships, which have resulted in long-term relationships
- Participates in territory management and planning with the Client Executive
- A proven track record that shows sales growth
- Experience in heavy building materials, asphalt, construction, or building materials distribution channels
- Self-motivated, energetic, results-oriented, hard-working
- Fluent oral and written communication in English
- Well-spoken with phone sales experience
What Is Unique About A Sales Representative Resume?
Sales representative resumes are unique because they help companies see how you can represent yourself. If you can do that well in their eyes, you’re more likely to represent their products or services with confidence and ease. Hiring managers want to see your experience with generating leads, building relationships, and closing deals, which requires a balance of effective communication, interpersonal skills, and a results-oriented approach.
What Should Be Included On An Sales Representative Resume?
Here are four sections that should be included on your sales representative resume.
Resume Header and Contact Information
Start your sales representative resume with a header showing your professional personality. Include your complete (and preferred) name, contact details (phone number and email address), and optionally, your LinkedIn profile or personal website.
Detail your relevant work experience starting with your most recent role, and include your job title, company, work location, and dates of employment. Provide a summary of your job duties, highlighting accomplishments and notable contributions. Bonus points if you can provide statistics like "increased sales by X%" or "exceeded quarterly targets by X number of units."
Most candidates for a sales representative have a bachelor’s degree or a high school diploma. If you have either of these educational qualifications, list them in their own section with the name of your degree, the school you attended, where it’s located, and what year you graduated. This section is also the place to list any sales training programs you’ve completed.
Listing your professional skills helps build credibility with a potential employer. As we’ve mentioned, sales representative resumes are your marketing tool; your skills give a hiring manager a glimpse of how you’ll perform on the job. Briefly list your top five or ten skills in a bulleted list at the bottom of your resume.
If you want to learn more about being a sales representative, check out our sales representative job description.
What Should Be Left Off A Sales Representative Resume?
It’s important to leave off any information that could distract from what a hiring manager is explicitly looking for on a resume. For example, you shouldn’t include personal information except for your contact details. This means avoiding listing your marital status, number of children, hobbies, etc.
When you're ready to start applying for sales representative roles, explore the best job posting sites.
Important Job Skills For Sales Representative
- Able to negotiate with customers and stakeholders
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to build relationships and network with potential customers
- Time management skills
- Able to adapt to a fast-paced environment and participate in sales conversations
- Experience developing sales pitches
- Strong ability to close sales
Wondering what other things to add to your resume? Our best skills for resume guide might help.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know what to include, you can start writing a sales representative resume. If you still aren’t sure what to include, hiring a resume-writing service to write and format a resume for you is a great option. Not only does this alleviate stress during the job hunting process, but it also helps ensure your resume is ATS-friendly – a vital qualification to secure an interview with most companies now.
It’s also important to stay updated on what positions are available. Check ZipRecruiter for the latest sales representative job listings!