Learn about the important requirements, obligations, responsibilities, and skills that should be in a Class A truck driver job description.
A Class A truck driver is responsible for picking up, transporting, and delivering goods to a destination, over long distances. Your work tasks will include operating and safely driving your assigned vehicle for the successful loading, unloading, and delivery of the goods you are transporting to their final destination. The products you’ll transport will likely vary and include anything from retail shipments, fuel, hazardous materials, and more.
Are you looking to hire a Class A truck driver? Snag the job description in this article and post it to ZipRecruiter. You can post your first job for free! If you need to hire fast, you could also post to a few of the best job posting sites.
Class A Truck Driver Job Description Template
We are searching for an experienced, dependable Class A truck driver to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for the successful, safe, and timely delivery of goods to their destination. You will operate a heavy duty delivery truck, transporting goods and materials over long distances.
The candidate should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. You should be detail-oriented, be dependable, reliable, efficient and have delivery driving experience with a clean driving record,
Class A Truck Driver Responsibilities
- Ensure the safe security of cargo being transported
- Load, unload, and deliver goods and materials
- Operate a heavy duty vehicle, equipment, and machinery
- Route plan, review cargo, schedule, and delivery details
- Use the navigation to arrive at your delivery destination
- Log trip hours, mileage, and other documentation needed
- Practice timely and safe delivery of goods and materials
- Provide a positive and professional customer service experience
- Accept payments for deliveries
- Thoroughly review orders to check for errors
- Perform troubleshooting for truck maintenance and roadside repairs
- Keep detailed delivery logs and records, as needed
- Compliance with ICC and DOT rules and regulations
Class A Truck Driver Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid Class A driver’s license
- 2+ years proven delivery experience with a clean driving record
- Must pass a background check and drug test
- Proven skills operating and navigating a large, heavy-duty delivery vehicle
- Ability to work well in high-pressure, stressful environments
- Customer service experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong time management skills
- Physically fit and mentally alert
- Disciplined and detail-oriented
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
Class A Truck Driver Duties And Responsibilities
Deliver Safely And On Time
Load, unload, and deliver goods to their destination safely, securely, and on time. Operate a large, heavy-duty motor vehicle safely and make deliveries on time. Review cargo, delivery schedule, and route information. Ensure goods and materials are packed safely and securely. Assist in the loading and unloading process, as needed.
Your deliveries may include long haul routes, regional deliveries, tanker loads, flatbed loads, and oversize loads, among other kinds of deliveries. You will review cargo, schedule, and route information, ensure the safe and secure loading of goods, track your hours and trip, communicate with dispatch, and safely navigate and deliver your load to its destination.
Communication and Collaboration
Communicate effectively with others including dispatch and other crew. Provide critical feedback and be able to receive feedback from others. Collaborate with other departments, as needed.
Be friendly and communicate well with customers, management, and staff about cargo and delivery issues, delays, and related communication.
Organization and Safety
Be well-organized and detail-oriented. Ensure goods and materials are packed securely and the load is well-maintained, organized, and secured. Observe safety protocols on and off the road.
Use your skills and experience to navigate the roads and drive to your destination safely, adhering to transportation laws. Properly secure cargo which may include strapping in, chaining down, and blocking in goods. Drive safely in changing weather conditions and navigating the roads and around other drivers, over long distances.
Practice excellent customer service at all times. Be courteous and friendly in interactions with customers, management, staff, and other team members. Accept payments on delivery, when required.
Maintain top customer service standards. Ensure the customers expectations are exceeded. Effectively answer questions and address concerns. Provide a positive customer service experience.
Keep accurate and detailed delivery logs including trip and haul paperwork and documentation. Maintain driver logs and records of delivery including miles driven, fuel, issues, and roadside repairs as needed.
If you want to work as a Class A truck driver, you may need to update your resume. To get resume help, explore our guide of the best resume writing services.
Class A Truck Driver Salary And Job Outlook
Median National Salary: $37/hour
Education Required: High school diploma
Number of Jobs: 2 million
Job Growth 2021 – 2031: 4%
The Bottom Line
This is what a Class A truck driver job description looks like and you can use this template to craft your own job posting.
The next step for employers is to create your job description! This guide can be a helpful aid in creating the job description for the Class A truck driver you’re hiring.
Job seekers, feel free to use this template as well. It’s a tool for you to use in the preparation and setup of your professional resume.
Next, this list of 20+ free job posting sites is a good place to head to. For employers, use these job posting sites to quickly and easily post your job listing for the Class A truck driver job you’re hiring for.
Don’t forget to post your Class A truck driver job description on ZipRecruiter today!