Learn about the important requirements, skills, and keywords that should be included in a surgical technologist resume.
Are you looking to start a career in the medical field but don’t want to be a clinician? A surgical technologist might be an excellent career choice for you! They assist surgeons, nurses, and other medical professionals during surgical procedures, ensuring the operating room runs smoothly and efficiently.
Getting hired requires having a solid resume that exhibits your skills related to the job. Keep reading to learn how to format what makes you an outstanding candidate in a concise resume.
If you need resume assistance, we recommend working with one of the best resume writing services. When it's time to apply for new surgical technologist roles, upload your resume to ZipRecruiter.
Surgical Technologist Resume Example
+1 (925) 446 1892
Surgical Technologist - Boyer, Breitenberg and Turcotte, San Francisco, CA
01/2019 - Present
- Completion of a surgical technologist program accredited by a national accreditation organization
- Compliance with continuing ed requirements specified by the credentialing organization for certification
- Gl and ophthalmology experience
- Frequent lifting of patients, weights up to 35 pounds
- Frequent pushing of equipment up to 50 pounds
- Moderate computer use, sitting at a desk, typing
Surgical Technologist - Okuneva and Sons, San Francisco, CA
06/2014 - 12/2018
- BLS certification (new employees have up to 90 days from the date of hire to obtain the American Heart Association BLS for healthcare providers)
- Graduate of a technical training program for Surgical Technologists
- Knowledge of all equipment used in surgery, sterile technique, and caring for instruments
- Basic computer operations skills
- Able to process e-mail (read, send, delete, file) and checks regularly
- Military, LPN surgical assistant or surgical technologist training completion by hire date
- Had AST certification or certification eligible at the time of hire
- Knowledge of the physical, psychosocial, and cognitive developmental needs of the population served
Kent State University - Associate in Surgical Technology
- Experience preparing sterile dressings and or immobilization devices
- Monitors the comfort of the patient and provides verbal and tactile reassurance to the patient
- Keeps accurate records throughout the procedure
- Updates and keeps accurate records of the surgeon’s preference
- Assists with case charges
- Helping to clean operating room suites in between surgical procedures and putting away surgical supplies and equipment
- A passion for treating patients/families with dignity and respect
- Maintaining an effective working relationship within this department with other departments, surgeons, and vendors
What Is Unique About A Surgical Technologist Resume?
Compared to other positions in the medical field, a surgical technologist has a heavy focus on technical skills. When applying for this role, your resume should highlight these skills above others to show employers you can do the job. Surgical technologists must also have strong attention to detail and operate efficiently, so show this on your resume too.
Do you want to land a role in healthcare? Learn how to get a job in healthcare to take the next step today.
What Should Be Included On An Surgical Technologist Resume?
Here are four of the most important sections to include on your surgical technologist resume in order of how they should appear.
Resume Header and Contact Information
Put your name in bold font at the top of your resume and other contact information like your email and phone number. Make sure your email is your professional email and not one you’d be uncomfortable sharing with an employer.
It’s also a good idea to include a resume objective or a resume summary. However, ensure it doesn’t take up too much room on the page so you have room for everything else you need to include.
Healthcare recruiters and hiring managers want to know you’ve got the right experience for their organization. Start this section with your most recent employment, listing where you worked, for how long, and your responsibilities.
Suppose you’ve never had a surgical technologist position before. In that case, it’s important to list any relevant work experience in the healthcare field or in a role where you had to be organized and work with a team. When speaking about your responsibilities, use as many statistics and specifics as possible.
The education section is often the shortest and easiest to write on a surgical technologist resume. All you need to list is your highest level of education, the type of degree you earned, which college/university you attended, and when you graduated. You can also list any relevant coursework here. If you don’t have a college degree yet, that’s okay! List the years you’ve been in school and your planned graduation date.
With the right professional skills, a hospital or healthcare facility hiring manager can see how you stand out from other candidates. In this section, you should show your skills related to maintaining a safe environment and following an efficient operating room procedure. Be sure to include soft and hard skills and tailor the ones you have to the job description.
When you're happy with your resume, you can start applying for new jobs. We recommend taking a look at the best job posting sites to find where employers are listing jobs.
What Should Be Left Off A Surgical Technologist Resume?
Healthcare resumes, outside those for doctors or academic positions, are usually expected to be brief. Don’t include overly personal information about your marriage, children, home life, or hobbies; really, anything that’s not related to the surgical technologist position.
These details can take away from the main purpose of the resume, which is to show off your skills and experience to land you your dream job in the medical field.
Important Job Skills For Surgical Technologists
- Expertise in surgical instrument use, sterilization, and troubleshooting
- Ability to collaborate well with others on a team
- Confident working in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Willingness to learn and stay up-to-date on professional development opportunities and requirements
- Competent in setting up and maintaining a sterile operating room
- Knowledge of healthcare safety procedures and regulations
- Proficient in anatomy and other healthcare procedures
Wondering what other things to add to your resume? Our best skills for resume guide might help.
The Bottom Line
Surgical technologists are an essential part of the operating room. During surgical procedures, they help ensure the safety and sterility of the environment and assist doctors and nurses with procedures.
If you’re interested in pursuing a career in this field, you must have a resume that reflects your abilities and sets you apart from other candidates.
However, writing a resume isn’t everyone’s strength. In this case, you can hire a resume-writing service to write one for you. It’s also important to stay updated on what positions are available. Check ZipRecruiter for the latest surgical technologist job listings!