Dakota Robertson (@WrongstoWrite on Twitter) bet it all on himself and went from Dominos delivery driver to the internet's pre-eminent ghostwriter in under a year. He has an incredible story of transformation and resilience to share.
If you remember Dakota’s name, it's probably because a previous guest, Taylin Simmonds, credits Dakota with single-handedly changing his life.
So now it's time to get the master’s story.
He hails from Kelowna, Canada, a place that seems to have an uncanny knack for nurturing remarkable creators and innovators, as you'll soon discover.
Dakota grew up with drug addicted parents, and lost his mother to the addiction at a pivotal age. Despite his childhood, or maybe because of it, Dakota knew he was destined for greatness, but hadn’t a clue where it would come from. Sound familiar?
One of Dakota’s BREAK moments came on September 24th, 2020, a date that he's not only marked in his journal but has also proudly displayed on his Twitter banner. It was a pivotal moment in his life when he made a life-altering decision which we get into.
In just three short months, Dakota transitioned from a college student with a part-time job at Domino's Pizza to someone fully immersed in the world of entrepreneurship. He made a bold choice to leave college, quit his job, and start fresh on Twitter. This decision was fueled by a burning desire for something more, a fear of living an average life, and the realization that life was too short for regrets.
Dakota's journey is a testament to the power of resilience, self-belief, and the incredible transformations one can achieve when they are driven by purpose and a deep desire for change. In our conversation today, we'll explore his upbringing, the challenges he faced, and the pivotal moments that led him to where he is today.
We'll delve into the power of belief and how small wins can set the stage for significant life transformations. We'll also discuss the importance of self-awareness and the role that community and mentorship played in Dakota's journey.
So, without further ado, let's jump into this incredible conversation with my new friend with an old soul, Dakota Robertson.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU'LL LEARN:
- Dakota's BREAK moments
- Dakota's background and upbringing and how it impacted him
- The belief flywheel
- How to go from dabbling/side hustles to going all in
- How to find your advantage
- Limiters that prevent us from achieving our purpose or success and where they come from
- How Dakota conditioned his mind over time by reading and consuming podcasts
- Journaling and how Dakota's journaling habit has helped him
- Imposter syndrome and how Dakota overcame imposter syndrome
- Personal branding tips
- 3 pillars of great content
- How to know if there is demand for what you're interested in
- Dakota's content process for testing ideas, repurposing, and analyzing
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- The 6 Pillars Of Self-Esteem - a book Dakota mentioned
- "If you want to get to the next level, you have to do the uncomfortable stuff." - quote from Dakota
- "I recommend sticking to one platform at the beginning. If you're scattering everywhere, you're going to scatter your focus." - quote from Dakota
- Hypefury and Tweet Hunter - what Dakota uses for scheduling on Twitter
- Influence - a book Dakota recommends
- Awareness - a book Dakota recommends
- The Way Of The Superior Man - a book Dakota recommends
- Models by Marc Manson - a book Dakota recommends
- The Creative Act - a book Mike recommends
- "Do uncomfortable shit. Lean into it." - quote from Dakota
- Connect with Dakota on his newsletter, website, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.